Above: Chris Gayle
By the Caribbean Journal staff
The Limacol Caribbean Premier League has named its “Team of the Tournament,” a group of the best 12 cricketers who competed in this year’s inaugural season, according to a panel of experts.
The team includes:
1. Andre Fletcher (St. Lucia Zouks)
2. Chris Gayle (Jamaica Tallawahs, captain)
3. Lendl Simmons (Guyana Amazon Warriors)
4. Shoaib Malik (Barbados Tridents)
5. James Franklin (Guyana Amazon Warriors)
6. Andre Russell (Jamaica Tallawahs)
7. Marlon Samuels (Antigua Hawksbills)
8. Shakib Al Hasan (Barbados Tridents)
9. Rayad Emrit (Barbados Tridents)
10. Krishmar Santokie (Guyana Amazon Warriors)
11. Muttiah Muralitharan (Jamaica Tallawahs)
12. 12th man: Ashley Nurse (Barbados Tridents)
Six of the players were members of the Jamaica Tallawahs and the Guyana Amazon Warriors, who faced off for the CPL championship.
The CPL said the team was chosen based only on performance in the tournament, and that “past records and reputations were not taken into consideration.”
In order to qualify, a cricketer had to have competed in a minimum of four matches.
The selection panel was made up of Mike Procter, the former South Africa all-rounder and a match referee in the tournament; ex-West Indies and Jamaica wicketkeeper-batsman Jeffrey Dujon, a member of the television commentary team; Mike Haysman, the former South Australia batsman and part of the television commentary team; Craig Cozier, a journalist with extensive regional and international experience, and also a producer for the television coverage of the tournament; and Billy Bowden, Nigel Duguid, Joel Wilson and Danesh Ramdhanie – all umpires who have officiated in Limacol CPL.