Guyana Rescues 15 More Fishermen Following Pirate Attacks
Above: Some of the boats following the attack (Photo: GINA)
By the Caribbean Journal staff
Guyana’s Maritime Search and Rescue Centre has rescued 15 more fishermen in an overnight exercise, following a 24-hour spate of pirate attacks on the Pomeroon River that began on Friday.
This weekend, three fishermen had been reported rescued.
“Follow-ups were made of the reconnaissance work that was flown yesterday,” said Public Works Minister Robeson Benn, whose ministry is responsible for the search and rescue mission. “The police were given the coordinates, the police team towards an area west of the mouth of the Pomeroon River rescued 15 men.”
Benn said a search was continuing to look through the areas aiming to help others rescued and to determine the identity of the perpetrators.
“We intend to continue our supportive efforts and searches,” he said.
Approximately 15 boats with a total of 19 crewmen were attacked between Feb. 3 and Feb. 4 off the coast of the Pomeroon.