St Maarten’s Sonesta Maho Pushes Back Relaunch to February

St Maarten Sonesta ReopeningA rendering of the new-look Maho Beach resort.
By

By the Caribbean Journal staff

The reopening of the popular Sonesta Maho Beach Resort in St Maarten has been pushed back to the end of next month, according to a statement from the property.

The property said it would reopen Feb. 27, citing “delays in construction with our contracting partners and extraneous bureaucratic policies that are outside of our control.”

The property is putting the final touches on a completely new look after it suffered significant damage during Hurricane Irma in 2017.

“We understand the inconvenience this will cause and we are working with each guest individually affected by this delay to rectify and instate alternative plans or compensation,” the property said in a statement. “Our priority is to provide the safest and best possible vacation experience and we don’t want to sacrifice the amenities and enjoyment that is expected from Sonesta Resorts Sint Maarten. We appreciate your time and understanding as we rebuild our beloved resorts and as St. Maarten’s tourism recovers after damages from Hurricane Irma last year.”

The family-friendly all-inclusive is adjacent to the adults-only Sonesta Ocean Point, which already reopened its doors at the end of 2018.

When Sonesta Maho reopens, it will come with a host of upgrades and additions, from a new room category called The Loft Suites to an array of eateries and bars.

The 420-room Sonesta Maho is the largest all-inclusive in St Maarten.

— CJ