Above: Nevis (CJ Photo)
By the Caribbean Journal staff
The historic New River Estate in Nevis will soon be home to a plantation-style museum and tour area, according to the island’s Ministry of Tourism.
The estate was the last working sugar-producing estate on Nevis until it closed in the 1958.
Now, the Ministry of Tourism, in partnership with the Nevis Historical and Conservation Society, is working to “preserve and protect” the property, which was established in the beginning of the 18th century as a sugar estate before being converted into a steam mill.
The site is located on the windward side of the island, and remains of the great house, cisterns and sugar works are all extant.
Just nearby is the Coconut Walk, where the Ciboney, the first inhabitants of Nevis, settled almost 4,000 years ago.