By Dana Niland
Construction of the second cruise pier at Port Zante in St. Kitts is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2019, officials said this week.
The announcement came from Minister of Public Infrastructure, Ian Liburd.
“The construction works are on schedule and we anticipate that it would be completed in September 2019 barring any bad weather,” Liburd said. “Just last week, we carried out an updated simulation of ships – the simulation to satisfy us in terms of the berthing of three Oasis-class ships.”
On Dec. 11, one Oasis class ship, the new Symphony of the Seas, which is owned and operated by Royal Caribbean International, will make its inaugural visit to Port Zante.
Symphony of the Seas will leave Miami for St. Kitts – its first port of call – on an itinerary that includes St Thomas; Nassau, Bahamas, and then back to Miami.
The ship can accommodate 5,518 passengers at double occupancy up to a maximum capacity of 6,680 passengers, as well as a 2,200-person crew.
The construction of the second pier is being financed under a syndicate arrangement between four local entities.