Owners of Bermuda’s Fairmont Hamilton Purchase Site of Former Sonesta Hotel

By: - March 20th, 2013

Above: the former Sonesta in Bermuda

By the Caribbean Journal staff

The site of the former Sonesta Hotel in Bermuda has been sold, according to global brokerage Jones Lang LaSalle, which handled the transaction with Bermuda’s Rego Sotheby’s International Realty.

The 32-acre site was purchased by Peter, Alexander and Andrew Green from a US-based financial institution.

The Greens also own the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, which they purchased last year.

“The combination of the location of the site, its superior characteristics and the renewed interest by international investors in high-quality, resort development sites resulted in tremendous investor interest,” said Scott Cullen, senior vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, who led the sales team along with Joshua Gleiber and Justin Bates, in a press release.

The property includes three pink sand beaches and is approved for 88 residential units and a resort hotel. Of those, 47 units can be purchased by non-Bermudians.

“The focus by the Bermudian government on attracting the international development community and its renewed concentration on attracting international tourists assisted with our marketing efforts,” Gleiber said. “We applaud the government’s efforts – both the prior administration and the current one – and thank them for their efforts in executing the transaction with the Green family.”

Bermuda

Cayman Islands, Brazil Sign Tax Information Exchange Agreement

Above: Georgetown (CJ Photo) By the Caribbean Journal staff The Cayman Islands has signed a tax information exchange agreement with Brazil, its 31st such international agreement. The treaty, which was signed on Tuesday, seeks to build on business relationships already in place, according to a government statement. “It sends another strong signal to the global […]

Bermuda

Multilaterals Begin Discussions of Jamaica's IMF Deal in Washington

Above: the World Bank’s headquarters in Washington By the Caribbean Journal staff The World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the Inter-American Development Bank have begun talks on their potential commitments for Jamaica’s IMF programme, Finance Minister Dr Peter Phillips announced Tuesday. Following the outcome of the talks in Washington, Jamaica’s IMF programme could be […]

Bermuda

Haiti: UN's Nigel Fisher Continues Call to Hold Elections in 2013

Above: Nigel Fisher (UN Photo/Eskinder Debebe) By the Caribbean Journal staff Haiti must overcome its ongoing political stalemate and hold elections, according to Nigel Fisher, the Acting Special Representative of Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in Haiti. Fisher was making his first address to the UN Security Council in New York Wednesday since being named to […]


Bahamas: Serious Crimes Down By 14 Percent in 2013

Above: Bay Street in Nassau (CJ Photo) By the Caribbean Journal staff Serious crimes in the Bahamas have fallen by 14 percent over the first two months of 2013, according to Minister of National Security Dr Bernard Nottage. This also includes a 24 percent decrease in murders in the country, he said, accompanied by a […]

Haiti's Michel Martelly Heads to Guyana for CARICOM Visit

Above: CARICOM headquarters in Guyana By the Caribbean Journal staff Haiti President Michel Martelly begins a three-day visit official visit to the CARICOM Secretariat in Guyana on Wednesday. Martelly took over from St Lucia Prime Minister Dr Kenny Anthony as the rotating Chairman of CARICOM in January. He will hold that post through the end […]

Puerto Rico Governor, Dominican President Talk After WBC Final

Above: Bay Street in Nassau (CJ Photo) By the Caribbean Journal staff Serious crimes in the Bahamas have fallen by 14 percent over the first two months of 2013, according to Minister of National Security Dr Bernard Nottage. This also includes a 24 percent decrease in murders in the country, he said, accompanied by a […]

Turks and Caicos Intercepts Boat Carrying 115 Migrants from Haiti

Above: Turks and Caicos By the Caribbean Journal staff A boat carrying 115 migrants from Haiti was intercepted by the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Marine Branch on Tuesday morning, the government announced. The passengers, which included 86 men and 29 women, were attempting to enter the TCI “illegally and without regard for immigration […]