Above: Bill Clinton in Haiti (Photo: Clinton Foundation)
By the Caribbean Journal staff
The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund is no longer accepting donations or new project proposals, and will wind down operations on Dec. 31, the fund announced Friday.
The fund said it would continue to put the $54.4 million it had already raised to work in Haiti.
“Longer-term reconstruction will be continued by the Haitians themselves,” the fund said in a release. “We are proud to have directed your generosity toward helping Haiti move from its aid-dependent past to a more hopeful, private sector-driven future, empowering the Haitian people to chart their own course.”
The fund’s projects had ranged from making equity investments in Haitian insurance companies to funding new hospitality projects and reviving the country’s hotel school.
To learn more about the fund, read Caribbean Journal’s 2011 interview with CBHF CEO Gary Edson.
The fund was launched by former US Presidents Bill Clinton and George W Bush in 2010 following the earthquake in Haiti.