February 11, 2013 | 10:06 pm | Print
Above: Carnival in Cap-Haitien (Photo: MT Haiti)
By the Caribbean Journal staff
Haiti’s government says it has not censored any songs or musicians at this year’s carnival, responding to media reports that some entertainers alleged they had been banned from the fete in Cap-Haitien.
In a press release, the office of Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe said the government “strongly refutes any suggestion that carnival songs or music have been censored.”
“All carnival songs are in play on radio stations without limitation, reaching 10 million Haitians all over the country with no interference from government,” the Prime Minister’s office said.
“The selection of bands for the carnival parade is complicated by a limited number of ‘chars,” the need for each band to raise considerable private sponsorship, consideration of the carnival theme, which this year is ‘environment’ and the need to give new artists their chance and opportunity to participate,” the office said. “This unfortunately means unavoidable disappointment for some groups each year.”
“Carnival is the best of Haiti, music, culture, community – an event in which there are no spectators, and where everyone is a participant,” the office said. “The government of Haiti is working hard to ensure that Carnival in Cap Haitien is a secure and successful event. Bonne fete!’
Haiti’s Carnival began on Sunday
1 of 1